Employment Relations Specialist
Our clients mission in People Services (PS) is to help create an amazing place to work with flexibilities that enable people to thrive and live better and healthier lives through fulfilling work. They aim to do this by providing a great employee experience through a transformational PS function, centralising and simplifying PS operations, seeing colleagues as internal customers, and co-creating impactful people initiatives for work now and in the future.
What you’ll do
- Provide adaptive and effective leadership and direction in relation to the development of employment policy products and proactive and reactive casework support across the University.
- Maintain and develop effective, trusted and collaborative relationships with key stakeholders including trade unions, People Services colleagues and leaders.
- Act as a point of escalation in respect of employment relations/casework matters.
- Support organisational transformation from an employment relations perspective, developing the Employment Relations Strategy to ensure that our relationships with trade union colleagues are effective partnerships; and providing expert knowledge, insight and guidance.
- Coach, guide and advise colleagues/senior leaders in relation to complex and contentious casework matters, including appropriate interventions.
- Provide expert advice and guidance to the HR Operations team in relation to dealing with more complicated operational casework matters.
- Ensure that standard work practices are documented and well known by the People Operations team, coaching and delivering training sessions as appropriate.
- Use data to identify workplace practice trends, any issues that need to be addressed and work with People Services colleagues to develop preventative solutions.
- Use data to evaluate the impact of policy changes and line manager people management training programmes.
- Support the undertaking of investigations, hearings, appeals, employment tribunal claims.
- Lead, mentor and build organisational capability relating to employment relations.
- Continually seek to improve the service provided by the Employment Relations function.
- Lead the provision of timely Employment Law Masterclasses for the People Services team.
- Feed insights and observations to senior managers and HR Business Partners so they are able to influence strategic organisational change and policy development.
- Continually seek to improve the employment relations service to the University.
- Co-lead in developing People Services capability as well as developing your own capability to deliver against organisational needs.
- Participate in wider PS projects and activity across the People Services function where required.
Deputise for the Deputy Director People Services (Specialist), where appropriate.
- There is opportunity to be involved in pay and reward matters and to widen your skill base in this area.
- Act as a diversity and inclusion champion within the business, use available data to drive inclusive initiatives and ensure that all employee decisions are considered from a discrimination, diversity and inclusion perspective
- Act as a brand champion for People Services within the university by living our values and behaviours, and ensuring our processes and approaches are consistent with our values and best practice.