Health, Safety & Well-Being Advisor
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Assistant HR Director (Health, Safety and Well-being) in the delivery of a Health & Safety service which achieves the objectives of the Human Resources Strategy.
- Support the Assistant HR Director (Health, Safety and Well-being) in the ongoing development of the Workplace Health & Well-being Strategy.
- Deliver the Health, Safety & Well-being training programme (corporate programme) to staff in conjunction with other members of the training delivery team.
- In conjunction with external stakeholders, deliver bespoke training packages to meet specific Health, Safety & Well-being training needs. Deliver this training as and when required, through presentations, to satisfy the Staff Development Corporate Programme. Subjects include manual handling, risk assessment and workplace health and safety.
- Respond to reported accidents, using existing Health & Safety Policies and Procedures, whilst taking into account relevant Health and Safety legislation. This will involve:
- Recording the accident/incident reports received.
- Identifying the need for an accident investigation and initiate accident investigation/notification procedures as necessary.
- Identify those accidents/incidents which are required to be reported to the enforcing authorities i.e. the Health & Safety Executive, and make these known to the Assistant HR Director (Health, Safety and Well-being).
- In the absence of the Assistant HR Director (Health, Safety and Well-being) report those accidents/incidents which are required to be reported to the enforcing authorities.
- To participate and where appropriate represent HR Health, Safety, and Well-being at working groups/meetings both internal and external.
- Compile reports for, and attend, Health & Safety meetings and committees to provide advice and guidance on Health & Safety legislation, Health & Safety Policies and any other associated policies and procedures.
- Serve as a deputy member of the Crisis Management Team, which will involve attendance at risk management meetings and being on-call to attend on-site Crisis Management Team in the event of a potential crisis.
- Provide professional and competent standalone advice on Health & Safety legislation, the Health & Safety policies and associated policies and procedures to all levels of staff. This could be via e-mail, telephone, attendance at meetings or during individual face-to-face meetings with individuals.
- Using initiative, time management and prioritising skills respond accordingly to requests for information received via telephone, e-mail and in person.
- Contribute to the application of the Health & Safety audit procedures and participate in internal health & safety audits of schools and units through conducting workplace inspections and document examination.
- Responsible for the maintenance of electronic data including the Health & Safety and Well-being intranet pages and the accident/absence statistics.
- Co-ordinate all First Aid arrangements liaising with First Aid Officers. Responsible for stock control and the issue of first aid provisions.
- Provide Health and Safety guidance to the HR Advisors within Business Support Team on relevant casework.
- Liaise with the finance department in relation to the provision of relevant information to the University insurers.
- Administer the application of integrated Human Resources and Occupational Health & Safety Procedures through assigning appropriate ‘hazard flags’ to new and existing posts. This will involve the hazard flag analysis of job descriptions and liaison with relevant contacts.
- In the absence of the Assistant HR Director (Health, Safety and Well-being) to attend corporate Health & Safety Committees, Well-being groups and other Committees and maintain liaison with external bodies e.g. the HSE, insurance Investigators, external auditors etc.
- Take the lead in designing and delivering bespoke training packages to meet specific health, safety and well-being training needs.
- Take the lead on advising and support culture change management and health safety and well-being performance management
- Lead on HR Health, Safety and Well-being project work
- Take a lead on HR Health, Safety and Well-being related working groups/meetings both internal and external.
- Deputise for the Assistant HR Director (Health, Safety and Well-being), providing professional advice at corporate Health & Safety Committees, Well-being groups and other Committees and with external bodies
- Supervise the day to day operations of the occupational health, safety and well-being administration team.
Our Cardiff based client is looking to provide maternity cover for 12 months for a key post that will contribute to the ambitions of the organisation’s Strategic Plan and will support the Human Resources Strategy by contributing to the provision of an effective occupational health, safety & well-being service.
The successful candidate will have current and relevant work experience in a health and safety advisory capacity and will possess a recognised higher level Health and Safety Qualification i.e. NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent. A detailed knowledge of up to date health & safety legislation and practise is essential and a practical understanding of the role of health, safety and well-being in supporting the achievement of organisational objectives is critical to the overall success of this role.
Current experience of delivering training on health & safety issues and also on preparing H&S reports and policies for presentation to management will be a given.