HR Business Partner – 2 year FTC
The University’s purpose is to deliver high quality and high impact practice-focused and professionally recognised education, research and innovation in partnership with students and industry. In working together, and by championing creativity and diversity, we will enable every student to fulfil their full potential to make outstanding graduate-level contributions and generate sustainable economic growth and social cohesion for our City, Wales and the wider world.
We have two key campuses in Cardiff and you may be required to move between both. We encourage flexible and agile working practices. We are a people-centered University and your ability to balance high performance with maintaining your well-being are key.
37 hours per week. When you do these hours is up to you. It’s not about where you are it’s about what you do, we have listened to our people, and they have told us that they value a flexible approach that is focused on outcomes. You’ll be able to work remotely should your role allow for this. We want our people to have a great work life balance.
Our mission in People Services (PS) is to help create an amazing place to work with flexibilities that enable people to thrive and live better and healthier lives through fulfilling work. We aim to do this by providing a great employee experience through a transformational PS function, centralising and simplifying HR operations and seeing our colleagues as our internal customers, co-creating impactful people initiatives for work now and in the emerging future. Our HR Business Partners work with business areas to achieve their strategic aims.
PS includes the HR Business Partnering Team, Organisational Development, HR Operations & Systems, People Analytics and Specialist ER teams. We also work collaboratively with each other in a virtual space on cross-functional projects.
This is a strategic role working at the very heart of Cardiff Met, partnering with our Deans, Directors and their teams. You’ll be a coach, sounding board and trusted strategic partner, helping our leaders to make the best people decisions, use a human approach to people management and drive forward their enabling strategies.
As a member of the People Services team, you’ll also help drive the university-wide Strategic People Plan, supporting us to become more agile, be a great place to work and promoting our inclusion and diversity initiatives.
Using insights gained form people data, you will have the opportunity to lead, get involved in and drive a wide range of initiatives including strategic workforce planning, change management, supporting performance, talent development, organisation design and development, job evaluation pay and reward and contractual framework reviews.
You’ll be passionate about HR, willing to get stuck in, and resilient. Relationship building is key to this role.
What you’ll do:
- Drive positive employee and leadership engagement through proposing and partnering with managers and senior leaders on creative and effective initiatives
- Act as an internal consultant to proactively propose, support and deliver strategic projects and other business improvements, helping to ensure the right strategic outcomes are delivered, bearing in mind success criteria and timelines.
- Work in close partnership with Organisational Development, using an agile approach to proactively spot problems and offer solutions for managers across the business, as well as proactively improving leadership capability.
- Support the design and delivery of training/bespoke development to positively influence the culture and support best practice in the management of people issues & change management.
- Lead and enable effective strategic workforce planning across the organization and work within the business areas to enable a flexible, whole workforce approach that is aligned to the university’s strategic plan.
- In close partnership with the Specialist team, develop and deliver on project work and initiatives specifically relating to pay and reward, contractual framework and other bespoke pieces of work.
- Closely understand, interpret and propose improvements to our HR Policies, as well as being live to possible day to day legal risks.
- Whilst you will signpost grievances, disciplinary and other complex casework to the Specialist ER team, you will provide business insight to help shape people management policies and practices.
- Proactively evaluate trends and interpreting data, with support from People Analytics team to spot and address any people, process and policy changes, to help drive constant improvements and efficiencies across the business.
- Working in a virtual space with colleagues from across People Services on a range of agile transformational collaborative projects.
- HERA job evaluation.
- Ensuring a great employee experience by sharing relevant information between the various teams that make up People Services, to ensure that any processes, changes and records are timely and accurate.
- Act as a diversity and inclusion champion within the business, use available data to drive inclusive initiatives and ensure that all employee decisions are considered from a discrimination, diversity and inclusion perspective
- Act as a brand champion for People Services within the university by living our values and behaviours, and ensuring our processes and approaches are consistent with our values and best practice.
- Support Organisational Development, People Operations and Specialist People Services team workloads during busy periods of time.
What you’ll bring:
Cardiff Met is a values-based University we are proud of our culture and we are there for our people. We have a golden thread that underpins our values and behaviours, and this is community; we support each other, we are kind to one another, and we are one team; we are One Cardiff Met. We use our Values of Creativity,
Innovation, Freedom and Diversity to help guide our decisions and actions.
We encourage and embrace inclusion that enables everyone to feel respected and able to perform at their best. We adopt a learning mind-set.
- Level 7 vocational qualification in a HR/HR related field
- Coaching qualification at Level 5
- Chartered MCIPD membership or working towards
- Experience operating at a senior level within a progressive People environment.
- Completed CPD record to demonstrate your commitment to your development for the past 2 years.
- Experience of leading and coaching senior management teams to achieve optimum performance. Ability to influence peers and senior leaders.
- Great customer service skills and an excellent track record for building strong professional relationships and credibility across all levels of an organisation.
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholders, a busy workload and prioritise competing demands in a calm and professional manner, inspiring trust and a sense of stability. Displays an approachable style to establish and maintain collaborative, trust-based relationships, and works effectively and inclusively with a range of people, keeping everyone up to date.
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to demonstrate how you have developed team cultures that deliver high performance against stretching goals.
- Innovative, action orientated and proactive; exhibits a strong desire to complete assignments and deliver results through planning and prioritisation.
- Demonstrable experience of applying best practice HR at a strategic level to include Operational Management, Resourcing, Workforce Planning, Talent and Succession Planning.
- Relevant experience of resolving a wide variety of difficult employee relations situations.
- Good working knowledge of HR processes and practice, as well a sound grasp of employment law, Equalities and Confidentiality.
- Shows persistence, creativity, resilience, adaptability and resourcefulness in the face of obstacles.
- Experience of Job Evaluation.
- Ability and knowledge to undertake pay and reward work
- Flexible in your approach and willing to work at all levels – you’re as happy coaching a colleague through a problem as you are supporting a big strategic problem
- Is comfortable with, and able to support others navigate through, ambiguity and change
- Strong project management skills; identifies and executes steps to achieve tasks, goals, objectives and results.
- Digitally competent and confident, and experienced in using the Microsoft suite of applications.
- Inclusive and collaborative approach, working with honesty, respect and compassion
- Comfortable with data and curious about people analytics. Ability to communicate insight to business area colleagues and influence evidenced based people practices.
- Strong presentation skills
- Experience of working in a progressive HR environment
- Welsh Speaker/Welsh Learner would be desirable
- Experience of working within an intellectual or complex organisation will be advantageous, not necessarily in a University setting.
- Experience of pay and reward work
You are expected to be aware of and adhere to Cardiff Met University’s Code of Conduct.